Regulators need to eliminate/minimize constraints that prevent continuous improvements and innovations.
Gains from manufacturer’s effort can be short lived till PBMs and others catch up and force them to lower their selling prices i.e. lower profits or drive them out of business. Generic drug companies, for their survival, have to figure out how to control their destiny. They will have to recognize that economies of scale have a drawback. They can result in reduced number of facilities making the same product through better technology, thereby resulting in layoffs.
To counter that they are pressuring generic drug producers and threatening their very survival. They will also make every attempt to disrupt/kill GEN Alliance through regulatory and political/legislative effort. I hope they will think about their efforts to disrupt GEN alliance as they will be going after the same generic drugs suppliers who are their current suppliers.
- Koons, Cynthia, Why We May Lose Generic Drugs, Bloomberg Businessweek, April 11, 2018, accessed April 18, 2018
- Sood, N; Shih, T; Van Nuys, K; Goldman, D; The Flow of Money Through the Pharmaceutical Distribution System, June 14, 2017, Flow of Money Through the Pharmaceutical Distribution System, Accessed March 1, 2018
- Grant, Charley, Hidden Profits In the Prescription Drug Supply Chain, The Wall Street Journal, February 26, 2018, Accessed February 27, 2018
- FDA Drug Shortages, https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/ Accessed April 24, 2018
- Ross, Casey: Amazon failed to disrupt the prescription drug business with Drugstore.com. Could a second try succeed? statnews.com, April 26, 2018, Accessed April 26, 2018
- Leading U.S. Health Systems Announce Plans to Develop a Not-for-Profit Generic Drug Company, www.businesswire.com, Accesses March 1, 2018
- Triple Threat: Amazon, Berkshire, JPMorgan Rattle Health-Care Firms, The Wall Street Journal, January 30, 2018, Accessed January 31, 2018
- Malhotra, Girish: May Day May Day: Can Someone Help and Lower Drug Prices?, Profitability through Simplicity, May 1, 2015, Accessed May 1, 2018
- Creative Destruction, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction, Accessed April 26, 2018
- Malhotra, Girish: Opportunities to Lower Drug Prices and Improve Affordability: From Creation (Manufacturing) to Consumption (Patient), Profitability through Simplicity, March 9, 2018, Accessed April 25, 2018